NR - Re: Regional Identity

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Fri Sep 1 11:40:58 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leslie Miller" <Miller at pp.okstate.edu>
To: <northern at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 12:58 PM
Subject: NR - Re: Regional Identity

> In the many years that I've been playing, there has always been a
> division of sorts between the North and the rest of the kingdom.
> Sometimes it has been more defined, sometimes less.  It is part of
> the history of Ansteorra, and I don't think it's going to go away.
> The North could stop holding events and only travel south, and I
> dare say there would *still* be a perception that the north is
> somehow different than everyone else and wants to do its own
> thing.

Yes, the perception is there and so I think we should try to make it a
positive thing.

> The fact is, we have a regional identity whether we want one or not.
>  We are "The North."   I am a "northern peer."  We are "northern
> groups."  We have "northern events."  Hawkins is a "northern don."
>
> Does this terminology sound familiar?  Sure it does.   Is it going
> go away if more of us start travelling south?  Hell no.  It was
around
> even before we formed administrative regions.
>
> What defines our regional identity is a matter of debate.  It is
also,
> perhaps, something that we can choose to create for ourselves,
> positive or negative, rather than leaving it up to random
perceptions
> on the part of the rest of the kingdom.  I think that's what Hawkins
> is getting at, and I think it is worthy of pursuit.

It's better phrased than I could find way to make it, but yes this is
essentially what I want to get at.  There are some positives that I
hear when I hear about the North's uniqueness, things like how our
events are "fun".  I can usually find a party at our events later than
I can find a party when I travel (maybe I just know where to look).
We've started good things with the Regional Tribute that Wiesenfeur
started.  It doesn't hurt to have a regional identity if it isn't
isolationist, but rather a neat part of Ansteorra to travel to.

> Do we want to be separate from the whole (ie. split from
> Ansteorra)?  I dare say the majority of people in the north would
> answer that with a resounding "no!"  If that were not the case, I
> think we would already be a principality, or well on our way there.
> While I am, and always have been, in favor of forming a
principality,
> I have never supported that idea with the thought of eventually
> splitting off from Ansteorra.

The steps are distinct.  We could pull together and become a
Principality without thought of splitting off in the forseeable
future.  The West has a number of Principalities that seem fairly
permanent fixtures.  I think we'd just be recognizing a trait that is
already apparent and has been for years.  Also, our Kingdom is fairly
large and not everyone travels the whole Kingdom.  I think a
Principality might make adminstration easier.

> However, since I am a "northern" peer (whether I like it or not) I'd
> like to see us make being "northern" something in which I take
> great pride.  You know, I'm not afraid of being different, and I'm
not
> afraid of change.  I'm not afraid of having a unique identity and
> being proud of it.  I could easily live with being a member of the
> neatest shire in the coolest region (or principality) of the most
> awesome kingdom in the known world.
>
> In point of fact, I already do.
>
> Gunhilda

I think it is this pride in your local group that I'm talking about.
The fact that Gunny loves Mooneschadowe and is very proud of it's
distinctiveness (I lived in Mooneschadowe, Namron, and now
Wastelands - each is distinct and I've learned different lessons and
received different benefits from each) does not mean she's not proud
to be Ansteorran.  Being proud to be North doesn't mean I haven't had
a blast in Bryn Gwylad (a semi random example), because I definitely
have.

Hawkins