NR - Regional Identity

Lord Michel mac Donnchaid eldern-hills_vscribe at ansteorra.org
Mon Sep 4 07:43:32 PDT 2000

Greetings,

There is so much discussion of regional identity and principality.  When I
first started playing, which really wasn't that long ago, there was a strong
regional identity.  As I played more, I traveled more and made more friends.
Some of this traveling included going south of Brad Leah, and when I went
there and was asked where I was from, I proudly stated Eldern Hills.  The
response was generally the same from many, "is that up North somewhere?"

Now I'm the Baroness for the Barony I still proudly claim.  My travels are
most generally to other events held within the North.  Many reasons why, but
I still don't make it south as often as I wish.  When I do head past Brad
Leah, I hang the Buffalo Banner where all can see Eldern Hills is at the
event.  I still receive many questions on who the banner belongs to, and
where exactly is Eldern Hills, well up North somewhere.  Going South
sometimes feels like going to Gulf, a distant land where people don't know
the banner.

When I did receive this bit of brass, there was a strong and active feeling
in the North.  What contributed to it are a whole bunch of things, that many
people have already discussed.  I enjoyed being a part of what I felt was
going to happen, formalizing our Region into something more.  I had to ask
many questions, do a lot of reading to get my own opinion of a Principality,
and I still enjoyed feeling like I was part of this.  But, then, sadly, the
momentum faded, and other things became important.  Now, it seems people are
interested once more in the question of Principality.

I see this as a good thing.  I'm not speaking for my Barony, they need to
form their own opinion, but for myself.  Being a Baroness has helped my
education in this, and many more issues.  Being a Baroness has let me see
things in the North and traveling from many perspectives.  I still support
the idea of a Northern Principality.  I would love to fly three banners in
my encampment, Eldern, Northern and Ansteorran.  I am proud of the places I
call home and when I go to the Gulf, I gladly tell others that I am from
Northern Ansteorra.

There, my little opinion on this.
Catrin

(Forwarded to NR list with permission)