NR - Honor, Politics, and a Principality

Samuel Walters agincrt at brightok.net
Wed Sep 6 14:55:14 PDT 2000

I almost never post to any of the lists but prefer to read them to keep up
with the happenings and goings on since my work and location keep me from
playing on a regular basis.

1) I think the idea of a principality is good for the sake of a
principality.  The same as it is good for a shire to want to be a barony.
There is no need to be a kingdom later just because you have to be a
principality to become a kingdom.  I think Ansteorra is great but is so
large that nobody without an extremely lenient work schedule, plenty of cash
for gas, and a will to spend hours driving, will be able to travel all over
the kingdom on a regular basis.  From my own experience trying it I found it
took the fun out of it and quickly became burned out on it.

Being a principality would enable a lot of us that cannot travel as much to
still be able to have the pomp and such that you get when royalty is at an
event.  Which is one of the main drawing factors for myself and others I
know of.

2) I used to be a very enthusiastic and wholehearted member of this society.
But I let my membership lapse and I'm not sure that I will ever get around
to renewing it.  Mainly because while I love the ideas and the dreams that
this game enbodies I don't like the personal politics that seem to abound.
A case in point is the bickering going on about a subject that I know
nothing about so I won't get into it.  I do know that almost every political
bickering and pissing match that I have seen involves some sort of brass hat
or titled person, somebody is always besmerching another on the basis of
their own honor, etc.  Do any of you think that this reflects well on us as
a society?

I personally don't and I tell you I know for a fact that outsiders tend to
see the bad before the good when it comes in the form of personal attacks
and politics on these lists.  Nobody wants to invest their hard earned
dollars and personal time into something that causes extra stress.

As a side note whoever is keeping track can put me down as FOR a northern re
gional principality and if it ever does come to that I will put my
membership where my mouth is and renew.

Yours in our Society,

Rhys Goch
MKA Samuel Walters