NR - Principality

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 23:32:32 PDT 2000

Three or four comments, none all that weighty.  This is a kingdomer issue,
after all <#;{)>
1.  Granted that Oklahoma is not the Florida peninsula or southern
California's equal in population, a Society in which it is a kingdom to
itself would likely have a hundred or so kingdoms in it, all with equal
privelege other than seniority.  Opening ceremonies at Pennsic would take all
day, at least, and I don't even want to think about World Court.  Any sane
BoD would have upped the requirements for kingdom before that happened, and
possibly made other changes to allow more layers in the hierarchy (like real,
territorial duchies).
2.  If becoming a principality that will never be a kingdom is a dead end, so
is becoming a kingdom, and so is never doing either.  Paths are what you make
them.
3.  A principality is an ASSET to the parent kingdom, and increases the
prestige of both the kingdom and the former 'region'.  Just look at
Northshield in MidRealm.  A principality that cannot or will not become a
kingdom would be a PERMANENT such asset.
4.  Given the North's perception and reputation in the rest of the kingdom, I
see two likely attitudes toward a movement to become a principality here, or
the actions of the principality afterwards:  1) greater recognition of the
region as a SIGNIFICANT part of the kingdom, appreciation of their
contributions to the kingdom, and a greater effort to keep the principality
happy BEING part of the kingdom.  2) an increase in the attitude that the
people in the principality don't WANT to be part of the kingdom, are trying
to leave, and good riddance, the kingdom will be more cohesive and better off
without them.  Frankly, my bet is BOTH will occur in different individuals,
and I'll take no bets on which would predominate.
Kevin