NR - Principality or Not?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Sep 7 04:41:23 PDT 2000

Chris Backus (cbackus at peakonline.com) said something that sounded like:
> I was distressed that this Principality thread, which I am very
> interested in, prompted some personal attacks.

Just my two cents on that problem.

The choice to create a Principality or not is not an intelligent nor
logical decision to be made most of the time. It is an emotional and
personal one. This means that people's egos and feelings are often
involved in the discussion despite their best efforts not to. This means
that people feel very much personally threatened when people start
shooting down their ideas no matter which way their decision is.

I am still of the opinion that there is only one reason for creating a
Principality. Because you want to. All the other reasons to do it are
just justifications for those who are sitting on the fence. All the
reasons not to are just hurdles to jump along the way if you choose.
Those people set to not have it, will never be convinced to change their
mind. (This means it will annoy you and the pig to teach them to fly.)

For those who don't know, the Southern Region had these same discussions
a little over a year ago or so. We had the same types of discussions
on-line as you have so far, including any ugliness. We had a lot of
discussions off-line that never did get ugly. (Probably because email is
a lot less expressive than face to face.) Our decision was that we
weren't ready for it yet for many different reasons.

I hope that everyone can be as productive as we were in these
discussions and come out of it as friends no matter what the final
decision is. That is the hard part in this. Worry about the important
things in life. The decision to become a Principality or not will matter
to anyone in 25 years nor anyone outside of the SCA now.

Relax and enjoy this game we call the SCA.

Ciao,