NR - Principality

Phillip Stallcup PStallcup at MMCABLE.COM
Fri Sep 8 05:55:02 PDT 2000

Ok, broken isn't a good word.  I guess I'm looking for reasons other than
change for change sake.  Many of the arguments for a Principality have
stated things that are wrong now that would be better if we were a
Principality, and I don't agree.  This is the, it's broken and a
Principality would fix it, idea.  Under those circumstances, I think a
Principality would only magnify some of the issues.  Hey, if the majority
wants a Principality because everything is great now, but it could be better
it makes sense.  However, I believe the landed are already required to
attend some Kingdom events, read as events out of the region where the crown
is in attendance.  If this is true, aren't the same demands going to be
placed on the CPs, maybe even more?

Ld Llygoden Llwyd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-northern at ansteorra.org [mailto:owner-northern at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of Chris Backus
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 20:23
To: northern at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: NR - Principality

Does something have to be broken?  I think it would be neat to be a
Principality.  We would get a "national" identity for the North, not
just a regional one.  This would include heraldic display (banners,
etc. for the war field, for court, for high table at feast), a focus
for regional/Principality pride (heraldry, a name, CPs), all sorts of
other court type stuff.

Why wouldn't we want to be a Principality?  Why would a Shire wish to
brave the political crap that is entailed in becoming a Barony?  Ask
Northkeep, then ask Mooneschadowe for a different view.  I see a
Principality as similar, except we wouldn't have to go through the
political issues of picking a Baron(ess) because a Prince and Princess
would be chosen each six months at Coronet lists.

One of the best indicators of whether someone deserves a high level
award is the question, "Except for the title and the insignia are they
already a _______?  Are they doing the job?  Does the populace see
them as a ______?"  I think a similar question can be asked in this
case.  I already feel like the North has a slightly different flavor
and would love to formalize that while retaining all ties to our
Kingdom.  Others might not.

Don Stephen Hawkins