NR - Principality name

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Fri Sep 8 12:43:37 PDT 2000

Timothy touts:

> we need a name that means something to us, and a lang/time frame.
>  IE norse, celtic, old english, latin, german, french(shudder ;))??
>  (my lang skills are a bit weak)
>
>  ideas???

I personally would like to see the proposed Principality reflect Oklahoma the
same way Ansteorra reflects Texas and Calontir reflects the west-central
Midwest (Heartland).  I've advocated 'Skraelingsheim', which would also be a
tribute to the large percentage of Norse personae, but have been told that
while Skraeling was PROBABLY a term used for North American natives in
period, it isn't a polite or complimentary term.  I dunno anything about
Norse languages.  Maybe a similar term in Spanish, Portuguese or Gaelic?  Or
combine that with a reference to the soil and translate 'Redlands' into an
appropriate tongue?
Kevin
OK, Diarmait has already addressed this and given examples.  I'll back any of
his suggestions.