NR - Principality

Peachy Keen Barbara Jean peachykeen at moose-mail.com
Sun Sep 10 07:22:46 PDT 2000

Umm... where to begin... I guess first of all, I too have a Yankee
upbringing. I don't feel superior or inferior to anyone because of
that but, I am often mistaken because my mannerisms/ideas are a
little different. One of the things that this lends is a bit of
confusion over this rivalry between OK and TX...? I've only lived in
OK for a little over 3 years. I can only think that it is perhaps a
little like the rivalry between PA and NJ. I grew up near Philly and
so that is what I understand.... where am I going with this... well,
I started participating in the SCA earlier this year. I am a "newbie"
and well, I've been watching this yarn with some concern. I am not
here to chastise anyone but, is the SCA not, for all intensive
purposes a game? A way to relax and escape the horrors and stress and
bigotry of the the real world? When I discovered this group my heart
just leaped because I had finally found a place where others seemed
to understand me. I feel less of the "Oh your a yank you think your
better than us" attitude and more of the love of just being alive and
being able to enjoy that. The SCA saved my sanity because I had just
about given up on OK and wanted to return to what I knew and couldn't
because of my circumstances. But, the SCA is made up of the people
who share their dreams for a better place for child and adult alike.
So, seeing this topic as heated as it seems to be... well it
bewilders me a little. I can't say that I know the way Texans feel
about Oklahomans or visa versa.... I know what rivalry can do to
people when taken too far... And what's to say is too far? A
Principality may just be what this region needs. A way for the
Northern Ansteorrans to feel better recognized for their efforts. A
way to allow the Southern Ansteorrans to feel that the North is still
a strong part of Ansteorra. What better recognition could there be?
The North wants to be noticed not forgotten and becoming a
Principality will make people stand up and take notice. But... will
it be the wrong kind of recognition? Will it flare up even more
rivalry and division between the North and the South? Is this to be
ignored? I'm not suggesting that the North become under anyones thumb
(not suggesting that they are there, I'm only speculating and
probably opening more discussion) but, from what I can see it looks
that this is a delicate matter that needs delicate handling. And
well, where does that leave me... still a little confused not because
I don't understand rivalry but, because I am not sure where I stand.
Perhaps if I was with the SCA for longer I might see what people are
saying happen in action and become a little disturbed by it. I don't
know. I guess I don't see it as Texas and Oklahoma when I am at an
event but as Ansteorra the beautiful Kingdom with beautiful people
who understand what chivalry and honor is and want to make that come
to life.

Ok... perhaps this was unnecessary and maybe I don't want to know the
answers but maybe just heard. How selfish am I!

Nadine des Jardins (Barbara in mundane)