NR - Region Names

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Mon Sep 11 08:33:59 PDT 2000

Just a thought -- since people's goals in this are different (regional identity, someday
principality or whatnot - or not, whatever), I'm not sure that we really need to be
concerned about an _official name_.  I mean, as far as I know, Nordsteorrra isn't
official is it?

I mean, look at the Illiad -- The Greeks versus the Trojans, right?   The Greeks were referred to by what, four different names? (Argives, Myceneans, Hellenes, Acheans) and Troy by at least two (Troy and Illium).  Now, to be historically accurate, none of these are the "Official" names of these people and places (although Achean and Illium are close).  The rest are allusions to one thing or another made by a poet who lived hundreds of years after the events - Argive, for example, should refer only to the people of the city of Argos, but the name is used for everyone.

So what I'm saying is that there is no real need to restrict ourselves to a specific mold.
If you want to use "Nordstoerra" in a song, great - if you want to refer to "Ruaoland" or
to "Bitellus" (my personal favorites right now) cool.   If you want to make something up - go for it (just be aware that calling a whole region by the name of a single group is bound to get some backs up :) )    If that means using Native imagery, or not, that's great too (anyone who wants to know my feelings on the SCA's exclusion of  Native American stuff when Japanese, etc. are allowed may want to take a look at old  archives of the Rialto, or ask me off-list).  Why heck, even the "Lands of the Blackwolfeaglestardragons" or whatnot's just a metaphor.  And if people really like it, you'll hear it again, outside this list, and not just in organized discussions.  The same really goes for symbols and symbology.

If we're trying to explore northern identity, were way too early in the game to even think about
limiting ourselves to one person or another's view of that identity.  Over time, with use, suggestions may even out, and should the principality thing become a big issue at some point in the future,  it wouldn't be that big a deal to select the more popular names actually in use and put *them* up for a vote for the "Official" name.  And even then, that doesn't invalidate the others for unofficial use.
It's a game - play with it.  Don't start getting all twisted and tight about it *yet* -- there's plenty of time for that later.

Marc/Diarmaid