NR - Soup Kitchen

Mon Sep 11 11:54:28 PDT 2000

There has been a little "gnashing of teeth" over on the cook's list about
the lack of historical accuracy in the food served by the soup kitchen.
This is understandable, since most of the participants on that list are into
historical cooking and culinary history.  This may develop into a project to
create a practical cookbook of period field rations.

While I often use modern foods and recipes at events, the idea of leaving
period food for feasts or A&S competitions begs the idea of recreating the
Middle Ages.  Period food can feed people fast and can be quite tasty.
Period food is not necessarily difficult or expensive to make.  In fact, the
only objection I can see to period food is if it is badly done, an objection
which should be raised for any poorly prepared food.

Perhaps we should worry about "period food."  Every little bit we expand our
historical accuracy, improves the verisimilitude of the game we play, which
is the reason for authenticity, rather than the "authenticity for
authenticity's sake," beloved of the A. Mavens.

Since I'm a bit of a historical accuracy nut where cooking is concerned, I'm
going to try for more "periodness" in my everyday fare at events.  Care to
join me?

Bear