NR - Principality name

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Tue Sep 12 18:21:34 PDT 2000

What is the origin of the word griffin?  I think a construction like
"griffin plain" "plain of griffins" "meadow of griffins" or something
similar would be cool.  Anybody like the thought?

I came up with Griffounvoute [m.e.](for griffin vault, thinking in
terms of heaven as a vault), Griffinfolc [m.e.] (griffin people), but
that's where I left off.

Hawkins