NR - Principality name

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Wed Sep 13 11:03:21 PDT 2000

At 01:59 PM 9/13/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>>What is the origin of the word griffin?  I think a construction like
>>"griffin plain" "plain of griffins" "meadow of griffins" or something
>>similar would be cool.  Anybody like the thought?
>
>Griffins seem to hold a special place in many peoples hearts in NR. I like
>them as well, but what is the griffins mythical sygnificance??

This is from a web site on heraldry,

The Griffin or Gryphon has the ears and body of a lion, and the head and
wings of an eagle. The front legs bear eagles feathers and talons, the back
legs being of the lion. The griffin was quite popular, embodying
characteristics of the king of the beasts and the king of the birds.
Originating around Minos and Greece, it was known as a sun animal and a
guardian of both treasure and justice.

I know that the Griffin is one of the Royal beasts that is used in heraldry.

Burke