NR - Principality name

tgnst at swbell.net tgnst at swbell.net
Wed Sep 13 11:24:55 PDT 2000

This is from my Library, I use it alot for scroll work, the pictures are all from
period sources, and I like to check out the symboligy of what I include in my
illumination...

According to 'Animals with Human Faces, A Guide to Animal Symbolism', by Prof.
Beryl Rowland, ISBN 0-87049-136-9, Published by the University of Tenessee in
1973.....

Griffen:
"The griffin is a mythical beast with a lion's body, and the wings and head of an
eagle. It is thus composed of the most royal of beasts and birds, who are in
themselves the symbols of  both dominion and destruction."
Among Prof. Rowlands quotations from several period and near period sources, are
these words written by Sir Thomas Browne in the 1600's, saying " after noting
that the griffen was a "mixt and dubious animal" and "a symbolical phansie,"
concluded that it was the symbol of a gaudian:

the ears implying attention, the wings, celerity of execution, the Lion like
shape, courage and audacity,the hooked bill, reverance and tenacity. It is also
an Emblem of valour and magnanimity, as being cmpounded of the Eagle and the
Lion, the noblest Animals in thier kinds; and is so appliable unto Princes,
Presidents, Generals and all heroick Commanders; and so is it also borne in the
Coat-Arms of many noble Families of Europe.

Really enjoy this book. Spending time in obscure used book shops is really worth
the time, you never know what you're going to find of interest...:-) 'Stacia