NR - Griffin, for want of a standard spelling...

Katriana katriana at chanute-ks.com
Thu Sep 14 11:17:05 PDT 2000

>Is the Phoenix blazonable?  I keep comming across this imagry recently and
>find it facinating.  For our experts out there, what mythos is it included
>in other than the Cherokee?  Other than rising from ruin, what symbolism
>does it have?
>
>Susan

http://www.eliki.com/ancient/myth/phoenix/

has some phoenix legends.  It is certainly blazonable, I'm pretty sure it's
a period charge and several towns mundanely have it on their "devices" :-)

Other sites I found (in a really quick look)

http://www.iaw.on.ca/~phoenix/Legend.htm
http://hca.gilead.org.il/phoenix.html  <--story by Hans Christian Anderson
http://hca.gilead.org.il/phoenix.html  <- warning, music loads & plays
automatically
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/constellations/Phoenix.html
  the last is info about the constellation, which it says has also been
called "The Griffin, The Eagle, The Young Ostriches (Arabic), and The Fire
Bird (Chinese)."

katriana