NR - Griffin, for want of a standard spelling...

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Thu Sep 14 14:15:09 PDT 2000

At 11:54 AM 9/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Quoting Susan O'Neal <catmafia at swbell.net>:
> > ...in other than the Cherokee?  Other than rising from
> > ruin, what symbolism does it have?
>
>I don't know.  What do the Cherokees see it as?

The imagery I remember, and this is more an impression from childhood, is
of the nation destroyed and the pheonix rising from the ashes to live
again.  It was used in the Trail of Tears drama they had when I was a kid,
but it has been rewritten a few times since.  In looking at the websites
that Katrianna sent, it seems that the Thunderbird is another
representative of the pheonix.  It also mentioned that the Thunderbird had
many other birds associated with it.  It the includes both the concept of
thunder and bird and is definatly both a representative of the area and the
many groups that are in the the SCA.  Also, isn't the lake where Beltain is
held called Thunderbird?  The orrigional newspaper of the Cherokee was the
Poenix, back in the 1820's, I think.  Muskogee now has a paper by that
name.  I hunted the web for more specific stuff on the Pheonix, but didn't
find anything, too many links were showing up with the newspapers.  I will
check the next time I'm in Tahlequah.

>You know, it might be an interesting nod back to the old
>Atenveldt roots...

Oooh, tell us more Marc.  I love finding out the history of groups, as well
as the greater humanity.  (Ok, I am slow here, is this just a comment on
the city of Phoenix or more than that?)

Susan