NR - standard spelling...

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Sat Sep 16 20:20:38 PDT 2000

Merrik Viltar Har wrote:
>> OTOH, as a good Irishman, I know that if you can't afford
>> the wergeld, don't stab the Viking.
> Not to change the subject, but Viking is what the Norse "did", "ISN'T((?))
> it?  Like, the Norse went a Viking, sorta Viking = pirating kinda.
> Just asking...

You know, I've been saying that for years -- but ever since
all these
"Thousand year Viking celebration" things began, I've just
given up.
I figure what do I know -- after all I've been screamed at
for saying
that it's understandable that Scandinavians got a reputation
for being
bloodthirsty savages because they let people going a-viking
be their
representatives; not to mention being told by prestigious
SCAdians with
Norse personas that ALL Scandinavians were "Vikings" during
that period,
it's not worth fighting about.

BTW, if you haven't seen it, this month's _Discovering
Archaeology_ has an
article on Vikings, as did last month's _Minerva_, and a
_National
Geographic_ a few months ago.  Pretty pictures.

Marc/Diarmaid