NR - Insults

Chandranath russ at randomgang.com
Sun Sep 17 17:15:29 PDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 06:50:12PM -0500, Marc Carlson wrote:
> I realize it may be for a people who require a book of
> *pictures* to
> explain the details of relations between men and women, that
> such subtleties
> are too obscure, but isn't there a great deal of difference
> between insult
> and wit?

The key connection, for the peoples who brought us body paint and running
around naked in the sunless marsh while the rest of the world was wasting its
time with music and literature, is that insult without wit -- or even with
only half, I hasten to point out, for the English readers -- is simply
crudeness, much as is to be expected of people who, I feel obliged to point
out, developed their own written language, oh, certainly no more than a
thousand years after the sutra in question was penned (note that word, good
fellow, that undercores the presence of words, an important concept for a
people who had traditions of scripture some 2000 years before the Romans
gave up on a job poorly done of taming Western Europe, as attested by their
prompt pummeling at the hands of said barbarians...but I digress).

Europeans.  Civilization's newbies.

Chandra
off to get food for his mostly-civilized English wife and uncivilized baby (but
aren't they all)

--
Lord Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy
Musician in the King's Players