NR - Insults

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Sun Sep 17 21:46:14 PDT 2000

Chandranath wrote:
> The key connection, for the peoples who brought us body paint and running
> around naked in the sunless marsh while the rest of the world was wasting its
> time with music and literature, is that insult without wit -- or even with
> only half, I hasten to point out, for the English readers -- is simply
> crudeness, much as is to be expected of people who, I feel obliged to point
> out, developed their own written language, oh, certainly no more than a
> thousand years after the sutra in question was penned (note that word, good
> fellow, that undercores the presence of words, an important concept for a
> people who had traditions of scripture some 2000 years before the Romans
> gave up on a job poorly done of taming Western Europe, as attested by their
> prompt pummeling at the hands of said barbarians...but I digress).

Aren't you impressive with your inability to end a sentence
- one might almost
think you German.  But shouldn't one have a clear point?  I
might infer that
you were suggesting that all civilized behavior came from
the lands to the
East, and rather than offend those from the truly impressive
lands of Cathay,
I am certain that you must be correct.  It is well known in
the West that
all civilization comes from Greece and the Holy Lands, while
we poor pathetic
peoples (who somehow failed to be subjugated by Rome)
struggled along alone.
Bragging about past glories of an ossified and stagnant
civilization is all
well and good, though.  We are all aware of the proud
ramblings of the senile
ramblings of the feebleminded elderly, to whom we must grant
the greatest
respect for their age and defenselessness.  And so we must
honor those toothless
old tigers who must try to gnaw on the peasants rather than
subsist on real prey.
I see by your later notes that you decline to continue the
discussion, and so
I shall not detain you further.

> Europeans.  Civilization's newbies.

When one is old and feeble, the young and healthy must truly
be frightening.

Diarmaid/Marc