NR - Re: India was: Insults

marc-carlson at utulsa.edu marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Mon Sep 18 10:50:28 PDT 2000

<Chandranath <russ at randomgang.com>>
>I said I'd duck out of the barbfest (it didn't stick to
>throwing shots at persona cultures, and become
>uncomfortable, frankly), but this is a chance to talk
>about and in persona, and I shan't pass it up. :)

:Stepping back out of persona:

I am sorry if things were being said that were making
you uncomfortable.  I know that for me, I have no
interest in *offending* anyone when engaged in such a
contest.  Admittedly, since I try to limit myself to
attacks that were only available to my persona, some of
the items that are correct for him are certainly not
what we would consider politically correct today
(including gender, ethnicity, religion, personal habits,
 and so forth).

If I may make a small statement (which I am certain
*you* already know, but may be unclear to others -- when
you are referring to the Indus civilization, you are not
referring to what modern archaologists tend to mean by
that phrase (i.e. the Mohenjo-daro and Harappan culture)
which died out sometime around the beginning of the
Aryan invasions (although debate continues on whether
that final collapse was caused by the invasion, or
whether the invasion simply exploited the prior collapse
of the civilization).  You are referring, if I recall
what I know of your persona correctly, to the Mogul
emperors.

:Returning to Persona:

Now, I, as Diarmaid, know nothing of the "Moguls" - they
haven't been born yet.  As far as I'm concerned, it's
1310 and Ala-ud-din's forces have not yet finished
conquering the Deccan.  The Indus Valley is that Moslem
controlled River, ruled by the Dehli Sultanate (the
Khalji dynasty), on the other side of the Mountains from
Kabul. There are some lovely ruins of the ancient Sindh,
particularly around Thatta (Where Alexander the Great
rested his armies), but as for the people - to quote
Marco Polo "The people have peculiar language, they
worship idols and have an evil disposition".

Diarmaid/Marc