NR - Re: Regional Identity

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Fri Sep 1 13:58:51 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <HEGitana at aol.com>
To: <northern at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: NR - Re: Regional Identity

> Good words from Hawkins.  But just a word to the wise if I may.
It's very
> difficult to take a negative perception and make it something
positive.  Few
> know that better than I do.  You have to change the minds of those
with the
> negative perception and they are in all regions of our Kingdom.  How
are we
> to do this if we don't travel and we focus only on a Northern Region
> identity?

Thank you.  I agree, I definitely don't think we can build a regional
identity without traveling.  In the last year I've been to Stargate a
couple of times, Bryn Gwylad three times, the Western Region twice
(I'm not sure both events were hosted by the same group, but they were
the same site), I've been to Steppes twice recently, Elfsea at least
once, Ravensfort, Seawinds, Gulf War, Pennsic War, etc.

> It's rare that adding another level of bureaucracy (even if it's a
royal one)
> ever makes administrations easier.  IMHO, it might make it easier to
get
> local cookies, but will put good people even farther away from the
powers
> that be on a Kingdom level.

You used what I see as a slightly loaded word to say what I was
getting at.  I don't think it's a bad thing to want to facilitate
awards for deserving people who are going to have a tough time being
recognized because they are unable to travel.  A Principality would
probably mean the Crown would come up less, because the Coronets would
be here to handle things.  I don't think this would be terrible.

> Not my intention to start a whole new discussion just some food for
thought.
> I have enjoyed reading all of the nice things said about Northern
Regional
> Tribute.
>
> Gitana

Hawkins