NR - A matter of Honor

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Tue Sep 5 18:45:38 PDT 2000

I've seen the requests to take this off-line, but due to the
seriousness of the accusation, I will not.  This will be my last post
on any subject to this list.

> Your Excellancy Silveraxe...
> The people who have the most fun didn't come to your event cause
> we didn't want to know who you were gonna get pissed off at and
> threaten to take out of the S.C.A. next.

I feel I absolutely must reply to this as you seriously attack the
honor of the most honorable man I know.

Your phraseology would seem to indicate to all that Sir Barn
Silveraxe makes a habit of getting violently angry at people and
threatening them.  In the entire 11 years I have known him he has
never been angry enough to shout at someone in public.  That he
did it even ONE time in 11 years is nothing short of amazing. I find
it incredibly ironic that you throw this incident (which happened
well over A YEAR ago) out to the forefront because it suits you.
Somehow I hoped for better from you.

To date no one (friend or foe) has asked Barn to explain why he was
so angry that day.  To me that speaks volumes about the accuracy of
the stories going around about it.  I can thank personally the
handful of people who were close bye to the argument for taking it
upon themselves to spread *their version of the truth* from one end
of this kingdom to the other.  I pray that when you make a highly
visible mistake someone responds to it with the grace you showed to
others.

Barn and I both recognize that because of our titles we come under
much closer scrutiny than most, however a little more willingness for
our *friends* to forgive and give the benefit of the doubt
(especially considering it was ONE isolated incident) would've been
greatly appreciated.  I know for me at least it would've lessened the
sting of their judgment considerably.

If I were ever to do as you have done and take it upon myself to act
as judge, jury and executioner on someone, I certainly hope I get my
facts straight from EVERYONE before I make public statements which
could be VERY damaging to them personally.  You and a mere handful of
others were present when the argument took place and you all know
that Barn apologized *extensively* to those who overheard.  He began
the conversation with no intention of it being anything other than a
private conversation and quickly expressed his regret for the fact
that it became anything else.  Aside from offering his heartfelt
apology, there was little else he could do.  Perhaps you had
something else in mind?

I assure you that if anyone ever comes to Barn again and insists
it is their duty as a kingdom officer to *reprimand* our King they
won't find him a passive listener.  Barn is very much a royalist and
defending the rights of the Crown is close to his heart.

When people forget that Peers, Nobles, Royals, etc. are just
as human as the rest of the world, it does them a grave disservice.
Just like everyone else, we have bad days, migraines, limits of
patience, etc. We put up with being snapped at, lied about, lied to,
judged for every little nod of our head, gossiped about endlessly,
and all manner of other things.  Considering how much time we spend
under a microscope being judged it's nothing short of amazing that
our tempers don't get the best of us on a far more regular basis.

Here's your can of worms.
This petty comment of Merrik's in reply to my lord's post is just one
example of why I will not support this region for principality at
this time.  There are still far too many juvenile temperments at work
here to convince me that we could handle our own Principality-level
dirty laundry without name calling, fighting, and, in short, some
kind of explosion ensuing.

> I am not flaming a Peer for their opinion, I am flaming a
> Peer who says their Region can't accomplish something...

I thought no flaming of any kind was allowed on this list.  Perhaps I
should re-read my rules.  I guess we've got Karma at work here,
'cause I'm usually a very even-tempered, soft spoken, tactful kind of
peer.  Despite reports to the contrary, my husband is too.  However,
you can only poke someone with a stick for *so* long before they
start snapping back.  Even Peers.