NR - Region Names

Burke McCrory burkemc2 at home.com
Sun Sep 10 23:22:51 PDT 2000

At 07:54 PM 9/8/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Emma wrote:
>><<  because as someone pointed out, we can *always* petition the
>>  Crown to change the name of our region if we want! >>
>
>Gitana wrote:
>>I didn't know Regions really had names, do they?  Do we have any other
>>regions in Anestorra with names?  What are they?
>
>I write:
>The regions do not have names so no petition is required.  We can call
>ourselves whatever we wish; the crown refers to us as the Northern Region
>or as Their northern lands.  We can call ourselves "land of those who
>live, fight, and roll in red dirt" (in many different languages) if we
>wish.  No petition comes into play unless we actually file for
>principalityhood or want to change after we have.
>
>Etienne

The names of regions are completely unofficial from the SCA perspective
because regions don't exist outside of the Kingdom.  So the regions can be
called anything that the Kingdom wants.  Several Kingdom use descriptive
names such as inland and river, some use directional such as northern,
western (Ansteorra falls into that group) and some such as Aethelmearc use
numbers region1, region2, etc.

Since the region's in Ansteorra were created by Royal edict, I also
consider that the names the Crown gave them to be part of that edict, and
the purview of the Crown.  So when the issue came up in the Southern
region, I told them that if they could come up with a different name that
most of the populace in the region supported,  they should petition the
Crown to change the name.  I consider the changing of the name to be a
modification of the original edict.  I am sure that if a region came to a
Crown with a petition to change the name of their region, that was well
thought out and supported by most of the populace of the region, they would
receive a favorable response.

Sir Burke