NR - Griffons in the SCA

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Wed Sep 13 19:12:23 PDT 2000

>I have really enjoyed all the discussion of symbolism and names,
>and I like griffons, which is why I seem to remember a griffon
>on the device of An Tir. Am I incorrect?

Someone already pointed out that An Tir has a black lion.  I thought
I'd dig into one of my few apparently rare skills and get some more
SCA info for the list.  Below, please find the entries and blazons
[with comment for those who don't read blazon] of kingdoms,
principalities, baronies, or shires with a single griffin on either
arms or a badge.  For the record, I like the griffin.  What I am
including below is only intended to show where others are registered
to such groups.  If I have a preference at this point, it is for a
griffin.  (I didn't have enough search fields to include cantons,
strongholds, etc. in one search but can get those later if needed.)

Artemisia, Kingdom of
The following badge associated with this name was registered in
December of 1998 (via Artemisia):  (Fieldless) A griffin passant
erminois.

Avacal, Principality of
The following device associated with this name was registered in
April of 1994 (via An Tir):  Quarterly argent and Or, a griffin
rampant, on a point pointed gules a laurel wreath Or.

Flaming Gryphon, Barony of the
The following device associated with this name was registered in July
of 1980 (via the Middle):  Ermine, in bend sinister a gryphon
stooping Or, enflamed proper, and a laurel wreath palewise vert.

The following badge associated with this name was registered in
August of 1997 (via the Middle):  (Fieldless) A griffin passant
maintaining a spear sable.
for Order of the Gryphons Spear

Forgotten Sea, Barony of
The following badge associated with this name was registered in May
of 1989 (via Calontir):
Vert, ermined, a griffin passant to sinister within a bordure embattled argent.
for the Order of the Silver Griffin

Greifenthal, Shire of
The following device associated with this name was registered in
March of 1998 (via Drachenwald):  Vert, a griffin sejant barry gules
and argent between three laurel wreaths argent.

Northshield, Principality of
The following badge associated with this name was registered in
November of 1996 (via the Middle):  Or, a griffin passant within a
bordure sable.

The following badge associated with this name was registered in
November of 1996 (via the Middle):  Sable, a griffin passant Or
maintaining a compass rose argent, a bordure embattled Or.

The following badge associated with this name was registered in
November of 1996 (via the Middle):  (Fieldless) A griffin passant Or.

Politarchopolis, Barony of
The following device associated with this name was registered in
September of 1990 (via the West):  Argent, on a pale gules a griffin
segreant argent, overall a laurel wreath counterchanged.

Summits, Principality of the
The following device associated with this name was registered in June
of 1993 (via An Tir):  Azure, a gryphon passant and on a mountain
argent, a goblet azure within a laurel wreath vert.

The following device associated with this name was registered in
March of 1999 (via An Tir):  Azure, a griffin passant, on a mountain
issuant from base argent a goblet azure environed by a wreath of
barberry vert fructed azure.
for the Consort

Three Rivers, Barony of
The following badge associated with this name was registered in
September of 1985 (via Calontir):  Per bend sinister azure and Or, a
hippogriff rampant, the aquiline half argent and the equine half
sable.

Windkeep, Shire of
The following device associated with this name was registered in
March of 1987 (via the Outlands):  Argent, a laurel wreath vert
between a griffin passant to sinister sable, armed gules, and a base
embattled sable.

The following badge associated with this name was registered in
November of 1995 (via the Outlands):  Argent, a griffin passant to
sinister and a base embattled sable.

Etienne