NR - Griffin, for want of a standard spelling...

Jennifer Smith jds-emma at operamail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:48:11 PDT 2000

On 14 Sep 00, at 11:09, Susan O'Neal wrote:
> Is the Phoenix blazonable?

Yes.

> I keep comming across this imagry recently and
> find it facinating.  For our experts out there, what mythos is it included
> in other than the Cherokee?  Other than rising from ruin, what symbolism
> does it have?

It's originally Egyptian.  According to my Webster's New World Dictionary,
"in Egyptian mythology, a beautiful, lone bird which lived in the Arabain
desert for 500 or 600 years and then consumed itself in fire, rising renewed
from the ashes to tart another long life; it is used as a symbol of
immortality."

Again for the etymology-inclined, the word comes originally from Greek,
"phoinix" (again, blame Latin for that i->e shift).  It is worth noting that the
word also means "a purple-red, deep purple or crimson color", so named
because the Phoenicians discovered the color (or more properly, how to
GET the color...)

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith