NR - Regional Identity

Jennifer Smith jds-emma at operamail.com
Sat Sep 2 16:01:56 PDT 2000

On 2 Sep 00, at 12:08, Rebecca M. Heydon wrote:
> one of the things we heard over and over again at Pennsic this year was how
> great Ansteorra was because Ansteorra was Texas.

We attended an event recently (I think Steppes Warlord -- it was in Canton,
anyway) wherein a spot was taken in the main court to discuss the lack of
chirurgeons kingdom wide.

And so help me if the person talking (I *think* it was the Baroness of
Steppes) didn't say something to the effect of "How wide is Texas?  How far
north to south is Texas?" before going on to issue a plea for more
chirurgeons.

Well duh.  I guess us folks up here in the north either have way too many
chirurgeons already, or simply don't need them.

So.. how do we fix that?  Since I don't walk around with a sticker on my
head that says "HI, I'M FROM OKLAHOMA", I'm not always sure that
visiting southern events does a huge amount of good.  If I knew more people
up "in the ranks", you bet I'd take them to task (nicely, privately) whenever
OK was left out of a discussion.  But I have to admit that I don't feel that is
my place, at least not yet.  Maybe in about 5 or 6 years...

-Emma de Fetherstan
Mooneschadowe Herald

--
Jennifer Smith