NR - Principality

Phillip Stallcup PStallcup at MMCABLE.COM
Fri Sep 8 21:52:18 PDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-northern at ansteorra.org [mailto:owner-northern at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of Darin K. Herndon
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 17:39
To: northern at ansteorra.org
Subject: RE: NR - Principality

Ld. Llygoden Llwyd wrote:

>I'm still wondering why?  Why become a Principality?  What singular 'thing'
>is broken that needs to be fixed?

This may be part of the perception problem.  There might be some
things that being a principality would help fix or be a catalyst to
fix; but fixing things is a small part of becoming a principality.

As a very loose analogy, take a child for an example.  A child either
grows or is stunted.  The northern region cannot be forced to grow
into a teenager (principality) faster than the body permits.  Neither
can it be stopped without damage (like foot binding for geishas).
But when changes start happening (the start of regional identity, the
desire to do for ourselves what our parents are away and not doing,
etc.), a blindness to that change is not healthy.  Things grow and
they grow at their own pace.  There are some of us who see the
strength and maturity in the north as a coming of age, not as a
desire to run away from home.  I have seen teenagers who are still
treated as children by their parents and those can become very
unhealthy teens.  Is the north ready to become a principality (a
teenager)?  We're certainly suffering what I see as growing pains.
We are certainly seeing discussions of "let's do for ourselves" by
having our own royalty.  Are we ready to take on more responsibility?
We're certainly not still nursing.

Actually, I think this is a very good example.  However, the change is a
natural and unstoppable whereas HE Sigen pointed out, the change to
Principality is more like getting a drivers license, requiring work and
dedication.  I used the broken term badly, and for that I apologize, but for
the question behind I still think it's valid.  I don't feel like we would be
turning our back on Ansteorra, and I don't think anyone wants that to
happen.  I just think there need to be good reasons to do it, of course I'm
not a 'because it's there' kind of person.

OK, that analogy lends itself to some things but is a bit
restrictive.  I hope it starts to help your perception.

>What would be better than it is now?

A bunch of us on this list have answered our opinions and thoughts to
the comments brought by your knight and his lady.  But they remain
opinions, hopes, beliefs.  They cannot become a reality until we grow
and find out.  I have seen more commentary lately from people stating
that from "the common people" they would be satisfied just to have
the pomp and circumstance increased by royal involvement.  If our
royals (parents) are not there enough for some, then yes the
adjoining baronies can fill in but that remains a babysitter.

We may all hope for the best.  I for one know in my heart that if we do
become a Principality that we have enough good people that we will make it
work, but it will be work, at least initially.

>Would the CPs come to more events hosted by small groups or would they be
>away at Kingdom events with the crown?

Under their fealty to care for this geographic body, they had better
be here.  Did Sir Barn or Centurion Kat go to Gothic to the circles?
No, they stayed with their responsibility.  A CP should as well,
IMNSHO.

The question was more of a, will the Crown require them to be in attendance
elsewhere, kind of thing.  Having no knowledge of how the
Principality-Kingdom politics work, I can only guess at a Coronets
responsibilities.
Ld Llygoden Llwyd