[NR] For those Equestrian Enthusiasts

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Sat Dec 1 06:29:29 PST 2001

I was searching for a picture of duct tape last night on the internet and
came up with some interesting things, thought you all would enjoy this
one.  By the way, how is the prospect of Equestrian in the North
coming?  Are there plans for any of the events this spring?  I hope that
you all can get with Chass and plan something with Margrave next fall, and
with any other group that uses the delightful group camp at Robber's
Cave.  They have an equestrian stable between their two group camps.  If we
have a large enough event there, we could book both of them and have an
incredible time.  It is also close enough to the Arkansas and Texas borders
that we could get alot of people up from the rest of Ansterorra and also
over from Meridies.

Hope to see more horses at events,
Susan
when I saw the way that the SCA revered duct tape, I knew that you all were
long lost kin

http://charm.hendrix.edu/wright/duct.h  tml
Uses for Duct Tape in a barn...
Tape up a hoof when a shoe falls off to protect the foot until the farrier
arrives
Tape the padding on to my horse's cribbing strap
on hoses of all types (water, hydrolic, hosebag clients)
mending tears in Buccas blankets (the allegedly "indestructable")
keeps hoof packing in the hoof
trailer window screens (ugly, but effective)
cracked plexiglass (don't ask)
boot soles
girth buckles (it's a long story)
eyeglasses (techno-weenie, or what)
lunge whip repairs
when hanging my curtains at a show of there's nothing that I can staple
into. Just put a BIG strip of it on the top of my curtains, fold them over
the top bar on the stall, and stick the duct tape to the back of my
curtains. Works pretty slic of I do say so myself.
to make sure our leg bandages are secure when shipping a horse.
Duct tape a schedule of classes to the wall so we don't miss our classes.
roll up blankets for summer storage duct tape is used to keep them rolled.
When you one day find yourself wearing rather old and shrunken bluejeans
which suddenly RIIIIII-IIP (ack!) right across the rump (ooh, don't look,
don't look! ) as you step onto the mounting block, two pieces of duct tape
(one applied on the inside, one on the outside) make a fine patch. It can
even be laundered a few times.
Wrap a horses hooves in duct tape over the regular trailering bandages to
keep the coronet band completely protected.
Strap a bit piece on the show stall door with your horses name, your name,
and your address on it. Great advertising..and great if there's ever a
problem.
wrapped around the metal handle of feed buckets so they don't cut into the
palm of your hand.
wrapped around the pipes of the automatic wateres so they don't freeze.
on the skirt of a saddle (if you can't afford chaps) to keep your legs from
slipping so easily.
coupled with a hunk of baling twine it's a great halter repair kit.
You can also amuse your friends at the stable by attaching rolls to the
area near your ears ("Look at my new earrings!")
I've used it to "resole" my ropers many times over.
It worked great to *stick* my plastic roping dummy steer head on the end of
a barrel (why waste the hay?).
it's also a great lint brush to get rid of the animal hair on your good
clothes.
the latest issue (Oct. '96) of "Practical Horseman" suggests using it to
protect from horseshoe nail clinches that are working loose. See p. 82 for
a description and picture of duct tape being wrapped around the horse's foot.
I use duct tape to help keep wraps on.
keep split boots on after the horses have partially eaten the straps off.
put the horses' names on the door so she's sure to get each horse in the
correct stall.
I've used it in my trailer to patch the padding that the horses' have
chewed or kicked.
in my trailer where a small spot has rusted through and hay is getting in
either the tack compartment or the closet in the dressing room
when my pony betsy foundered (she had foundered countless times before i
got her) i used duct-tape to wrap her feet. first i rolled up one of those
MMM dish washing/scouring pads, then i wrapped that in duct-tape. then i
secured the pad to put pressure on her frogs with the duct-tape. worked
like a charm til the banamine, etc, took effect and my vet got here.
also use duct-tape when my major muncher The Duke of Fallon (QH) decides to
rip a hole in a hose.
Last fall, I took my husband for a carriage drive to a local orchard to buy
apples and cider, and enjoy the foliage on a brisk October day. At the
orchard, we were faced with a predicament -- how to secure the gallon jug
of cider in a cart that has no storage compartment? The answer: duct tape,
which lives in my spares kit, next to the harness repair stuff and halter &
lead. Taped that jug right to the floorboards. Worked beautifully.
I happened to be wearing a rather worn out pair of jean shorts to the barn
one day when i went to take care of my old gimpy horse... I bent over to
pick out his hoof and *riiiiiiiiiiiip*. Yep. They tore a good ways down my
butt. Not a problem. the tear wasn't that bad. at least not until the damn
horse decided he wanted to get loose. the strain on the pants was too much.
By the time i had him safely in his stall, all there was was waistband and
leg cuff. How embarrassing. Worst of all...I had no extra pair of pants and
i didn't yet have a car, so I had to wait til my mom could get
there...since that was going to be a while, the barn owner fixed my pants
with DUCT TAPE. *blush*