NR - Drawing vs. Raffle

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Wed Feb 14 10:56:19 PST 2001

At 11:18 AM 2/14/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Staci L. Myers (Staci-Myers at ouhsc.edu) said something that sounded like:
> > What exactly is the difference between a donation drawing & a raffle?
>
>In the genaral terms, one is a game of luck and gambling (raffle) while
>the other is a fund raiser.
>
>Technically you can not deny someone a ticket if they do not give a
>donation nor does someone have to take a ticket if they give a donation.
>
>Ciao,
>
>--
>Phelim "Pug" Gervase   | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something

Not quite,  in reality there is very little difference but because of the
way that the Laws are written in Oklahoma the main focus is on the
intent.  A Raffle has a person buying a ticket in order to win a possible
prise, much like a lottery.  A donation-drawing has a person receiving a
token as the result of having made a donation to a worth cause (you can
deny someone a token if they don't make a donation).  In a Raffle some of
the proceeds are usually used to pay for whatever the prise is.  In a
donation-drawing, the money collected is never used to purchase the prise
(which is usually also a donation).  This may seem like we are splitting
legal hairs, but it is the way things work in Oklahoma and how a lot of
churches and schools often raise money.

Sir Burke