NR - Re:

Staci L. Myers Staci-Myers at ouhsc.edu
Thu Feb 15 10:09:41 PST 2001

No, it is not a threat. It is a fact that someone working for the state or
in law enforcement who is found to have looked the other way regarding
illegal activity could quite possibly lose their job. Slight chance? Maybe,
maybe not, but it's not a chance I'd be willing to take, if I were faced
with such a situation.

If the people who have voiced concerns regarding this really wanted to cause
trouble, they could have just waited until the drawing was in progress,
summoned the police and let THEM decide whether or not the activity was
legal. The matter was brought up not to cause trouble, but to find a
solution.

If what we are doing is breaking the law, we should not look for a way to
skirt the law as closely as possible; we should put our energies into a
fundraiser that is unquestionably legal. While I doubt that anyone would go
to jail over such a matter, any legal difficulties that ensued would also
involve the owner of the event site. I can definitely see that ending our
welcome at Campfire Sites and, depending on word of mouth, making it harder
to secure sites with related organizations.

There are other ways of raising funds. Wiesenfeur's Sewing Guild raised over
$100 with a bake sale at an afternoon revel attended by no more than 50
people. Silent auctions are popular and profitable, & if you can get someone
creative like Master Lucais to act as auctioneer, a live auction could be a
lot of fun, as well.

You can't imagine how crushed I am to discover that raffles are illegal in
this state. I've given Kat's firstborn away so many times (you wouldn't
actually expect me to give up my own firstborn, would you? What are friends
for, anyway?) that I was planning on holding a drawing when the little
furball was born. Guess it's first-come, first-served, y'all. Or maybe I
could do it in Texas - are raffles legal there? (BTW, before I inadvertently
start another rumor, NO, Kat is not currently pregnant - as far as I know -
although after this post, I don't know that she'll tell me when she is).

Aelfwyn
(last paragraph authored by Skippy, I swear!)