NR - Thoughts on a chilly morning......

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Thu Feb 15 13:06:17 PST 2001

Hiho, JP the frog here :)

Although the e-mails here have been fast and furious, I feel that the
discussions occuring online are not "another action that show how divided
we are".  I feel this way because

1) This online forum is only a small and vocal minority of the region.  The
majority of the region is not subscribed to this list.  This was why for
the roundtable discussions for principality were held at events, and not
online.
2) Of those reading the list, only a small part are taking part in the
discussions. Of the "NR-Re:" discussion I count six unique authors for 8
e-mails.  Although you could arguably state that those 6 are indicative of
the region, I'd say any statistician would disagree, and that those are
just six individuals with opinions.
3) The anonymity and lack of non-verbal clues on mailing lists make it easy
for people to misinterpret posts.

I feel, that in general the people in the north get along well together,
have good times, throw great events, cook good feasts, and host great
parties.

Are there troubles? Certainly.
Are they insurmountable? possibly, but probably not.

My advice (for what it is worth ) is this:

Anytime someone says something that hurts you, give them the benefit of the
doubt that what they did was unintentional.  Let them know that what they
said (or typed in this case) that it hurt you.  If they say it was
unintentional and apologize, accept it.

Repeat the above procedure for any person who hurts you until they have
proven that they like hurting you.

Jean Paul de Sens
proud wearer of rose-colored glasses :)

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com
http://www.nomadics.com

On Thursday, February 15, 2001 9:34 AM, Jennene Stanley
[SMTP:mooharpist at mmcable.com] wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> <Anya sips her tea and contemplates what's going on>
>

> I've been thinking. It seems to me that we need to look at the larger
picture here. What is going on in our region that some are motivated to get
anonymous accounts and then make post for the only purpose of getting
others pissed? It seems to me to be yet another action that shows how
divided we are. I personally am getting rather tired of this anonymous
stuff. If a person has a problem with what is going on they should have the
courage and honor to speak as themselves. I may not like what a person
says, but I will not deny him the right to say it.

> This is yet another symptom of the overall problem that is plaguing this
part of the Kingdom. In my perception, there are group of people up here
that do not have the guts to confront the issues in the full light. The use
of anonymous names is an evolution of the past mode of behavior. Until now,
people, who did not have the courage the confront an issue, would go around
and do whatever they could to assassinate the character of the people whom
they felt were on the opposite side. One can only take that so far. Now
they must post under the fake names. (BTW- from what I understand the
Route44 Gang refers to people playing out of Tarl and Stacia's living room.
If I am mistaken then someone needs to correct this perception by using
their real names. Until then, I will assume that this is coming from that
Household)

> We have got some serious problems here. And being told to "play nice" has
not been solving them.

> Anya
>

> PS. If we were all playing nice, I would not have had someone try to hack
into my server last night though the link I posted on this list. I keep a
log on the activity of the server and have a good idea where the hack
originated.