NR - OT - Question about KODO 3/4

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 09:52:59 PST 2001

>>> Are you talking about the Japanese drummers that wear
>>> headbands and sumo-like loincloths? (Sorry - I don't
>>> know what they are called).

Fundoshi.

Yes, it is them.

>>> It sounds interesting, do you have any more info on
>>> the show times, etc.?

Here are the relevant websites:

     http://www.kodo.or.jp/frame.html

     http://www.tulsapac.com/ - which says on the Calendar:

     Kodo
     Sunday, March 4, 2001 at 7:30 p.m.
     Chapman Music Hall

The Kodo Drummers of Japan return to Tulsa for the first time in 10 years as part of their 20th anniversary season. With kamikaze-like drive and a powerful beat, the Kodo drummers focus mind, body and soul into the music of the drum. The Kodo performers come to Sado Island in the Sea of Japan to devote themselves to the study of the "taiko," the traditional Japanese drum and to a continuing belief in the importance of contact with the natural world. Their objectives are not only the study and preservation of traditional Japanese performing arts, but also the creation of new directions for what they believe are still vibrant living art forms. The Japanese characters for Kodo convey two meanings: heartbeat, the primal source of all rhythm; and children of the drum, a reflection of Kodo's desire to play their drums simply, with the heart of a child.

Tickets: Front Orchestra, Front Mezzanine $35; Back Orchestra, Back Mezzanine $27.50; Balcony $17.50

Sponsors: Oklahoma Arts Council; Heartland Arts Fund; ONEOK, Inc.; KCFM

(I think that at this point, only Orchestra seats are available, at least according to the online Ticket Wizard.  Could be wrong.)

                                ---= Morgan