NR - Drawing vs. Raffle

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Feb 14 14:53:01 PST 2001

Good Morning,

  Okay let me re-write this a bit since words were changed in the middle
  of it in order to make them seem less the same.

  A raffle has a person buying a ticket in order to win a possible prise.
  The money goes towards "something", which *could* be a "worthy cause".
  The prise may be donated or bought with the proceeds.

  A donation-drawing has a person buying a ticket in order to win a
  possible prise. The money goes towards a "worthy cause". The prise
  may be donated but not bought with the proceeds.

  So in our situation the only thing saving us is *if* the prise is
  donated and not bought with SCA funds. That's awefully damn similar.

> This may seem like we are splitting
> legal hairs, but it is the way things work in Oklahoma and how a lot of
> churches and schools often raise money.

  You're right that it seems like splitting legal hairs. It's not a
  situation *I*'d be comfortable being in.

Ciao,