NR - Northern Regional Tribute

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Mon Jan 1 11:13:23 PST 2001

Replies below.....

-----Original Message-----
From: HEGitana at aol.com <HEGitana at aol.com>
To: northern at ansteorra.org <northern at ansteorra.org>
Date: Monday, January 01, 2001 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: NR - Northern Regional Tribute

>Sir Alrek,
>
>You made some good points.  I agree that it would be really good to have
all
>Regional Officers involved, they could greatly help the coordinating
autocrat.

>However, I also see some problems.
>
>1.  I find it difficult to believe that any group would be willing to put
>their reputation and money on the line, if they have absolutely no input
>regarding how the event is run.

I agree.

>2.  How likely is it that all Regional Officers would accept this
>responsibility and actually fulfill their duties?  Unless the Date is
>changed, February is a really busy time for Treasurer's, especially the
>Regionals.

Can't speak for the current ones, but as a person getting ready to put in an
application for office, I would that I would be willing.

>3.  What affect would this have on people being willing to hold Regional
>offices?  It's often difficult to fill some of the Regional offices as it
is.

Why is it difficult to fill them?  Are perhaps offices were the
work/back-patting ratio are not high enough?  If so then we should look at
those offices and try to make them easier to fill.  True, adding additional
planning of NRT to the current office requirements wouldn't make it easier,
but if all other issues were resolved....

>3.  Traditionally the sponsoring group handles the lions share of the set
up
>and clean up and staffing the gate.  It seems unfair to put that burden on
>them if they have no input into how the event is run.
>
>4.  The region does not have a bank account.  Regional officers cannot make
>financial decision for SCA groups.  There can be no transfers.  Will
Regional
>officers understand why?

Gitana, I know you do not agree, but I feel these last two reasons are
another good justification for principality.  Unless I misrember, a
principality has a bank account.   With the principality running the event,
problem #3 becomes a moot one.

>I don't know how all the groups feel now, but I would never have been able
>sell this concept when this event was originally started.  Would any group
>want to sponsor and event in name only?

I don't think any of use here on the list (mayhaps landed excepted) can
truly speak for their whole group.  Having said that, I think that our shire
would do so if necessary.  With the way people in Mooneschadowe are, we'd
all end up helping to work at the event, and in a sense it would become our
event because we all worked at it.