NR - Northern Regional Tribute

CAMERON LEWIS okrabbit at home.com
Mon Jan 1 11:22:54 PST 2001

HEGitana at aol.com wrote:

> Sir Alrek,
>
> You made some good points.  I agree that it would be really good to have all
> Regional Officers involved, they could greatly help the coordinating autocrat.
>
> However, I also see some problems.
>
> 1.  I find it difficult to believe that any group would be willing to put
> their reputation and money on the line, if they have absolutely no input
> regarding how the event is run.

This might be up to the NRS to get a group to sponsor the event... bids can be
done but this would be the one event a year that the Regional officers would get
to carry the ball.  Also, I am not saying that the sponsoring group would not have
any input to the portion that they are sponsoring.  I am saying that their group
and the coodinating NR officer would have the say on THAT part.  Don't work with
people that cant work with you... mostly if you get to PICK the people that you
work with.

> 2.  How likely is it that all Regional Officers would accept this
> responsibility and actually fulfill their duties?  Unless the Date is
> changed, February is a really busy time for Treasurer's, especially the
> Regionals.

I dont know much about the Treasurers job, only what you have taught me... it
would not be uncommon for someone to run the gate for an event besides one
person... it would come down to the tresurer counting the money at the end which
is what they like to do since they are treasurer... but they could coordinate the
gate or get a GROUP to run the gate also.  You know that Reagan will run the gate
from midnight til 6am anyway.

> 3.  What affect would this have on people being willing to hold Regional
> offices?  It's often difficult to fill some of the Regional offices as it is.

That would be part of the job description.  You know as a past autocrat that if
you have to get everything coordinated by yourself it is hectic but if you break
down what has to be done, all of the little parts together still make an event run
great

> 3.  Traditionally the sponsoring group handles the lions share of the set up
> and clean up and staffing the gate.  It seems unfair to put that burden on
> them if they have no input into how the event is run.

Now, I think, NRT has a life of it's own.  There are things that we all expect to
do there... war college, A&S, Auction, Classes, Feast, Gate, Rooms, Tear-down,
Potty patrol, the same things for almost every event we have.  If the Sponsoring
group has an idea on something to do at the event then it would be up to them and
the NRSeneschal to work through it.  If that input had to deal with the part that
they were sponsoring.

> 4.  The region does not have a bank account.  Regional officers cannot make
> financial decision for SCA groups.  There can be no transfers.  Will Regional
> officers understand why?

I am not sure what you mean by this but yes i agree that we as a region do not
have a bank account nor do we need one, however, I see the regional officers only
coordinating their aspect or whatever would be in their job description to
coordinate.  They could not run these things themselves but the sponsoring groups
could.  There would have to be a bunch of communication between the NROfficers and
the groups that are at work... maybe a separate list for coordinating NRT.  I know
that Northkeep has a list of their own and I think some other groups do as well.
The officer could get on that list and communictions could stay open.  I know that
not everyone has access to the net but everyone knows someone that does.  So i
could say, hey Gitana could you let Barn and Kat know that since they have
volunteered to sponsor the event this year, do you think that they could ask
Baroness Margret and Baron Rumil if they might be interested in sitting gate
early, and Reagan if he would like to sit gate at night?  If not let me know.
See, now I, as NRTreasurer dont have to worry about gate unless they get back to
me and say nope Margret and Rumil cant be there until 6pm and Reagan broke his
chair.  So I, along with my sponsoring Barony,  have to find someone else to sit
gate early and to get Reagan a chair.  The NRS or Marshal or any other officer
does not have to be involved unless I, the NRTreasurer (mwahahahahahah), and my
sponsoring group, can't find anyone at all to sit gate.

Less stress means more fun and less hassle on the weekends.  Weeks were made for
stress and planning, weekends were made for having fun with your friends and
beating them up.

> I don't know how all the groups feel now, but I would never have been able to
> sell this concept when this event was originally started.  Would any group
> want to sponsor and event in name only?

I know the difficulties that you had when NRT was initiated but now I do believe
that it has a life of it's own thanks to the hard work from everyone in the
Northern Region over the years.  If it is too much of a needless burden for one
group to run a regional event it might be time for a change then.  That is what I
am proposing.  I dont want people to believe as I believe, I want to spark thought
and input into what I have started to discuss.  I think that change is good when
you grow from knowledge, and now I believe, is the time for growth.

Post comments to this public forum so all can see how YOU feel.  Private
conversations are what gets misinterpreted and I want to know how everyone feels
about this topic.  We are adults here, except for Pug he is still a teenager, and
can all talk and disagree about a subject without being hostile to one another.
Remember to read what you type before you send it as someone might be taking it
the wrong way or read something into your post that you did not mean.  If you read
something that sounds wrong to you, PRIVATELY mail that individual and ask them if
they would please reiterate what they said because YOU might have misunderstood.
You could even ask them to post thier comment again with that clarification so
eveyone understands what they meant if there was something you didnt quite
understand about their post.

BE ADULTS and BE GOOD

In service to my region, Kingdom, and Crown,
Sir Alrek