NR - Northern Retional Tribute

Mon Jan 1 13:08:57 PST 2001

Pug,

Northern Regional Tribute got started as an event run primarily by
Wiesenfeuer.  Other Baronies joined in later and the event became more
properly "regional."  Traditionally, the hosting group provides the autocrat
and the financial controls.  This has always been a dicey point and the
event has always been organized with a lot of negotiations between the
Baronages and the local officers to insure that everyone's fiduciary
interests are protected.

An attempt was made to run the event with an outside autocrat and it proved
to be a serious problem for organizing the event.  It is superior to select
a group to serve as host and provide the overall coordination and event
accounting under the observation of the regional officers, which is about
how most Kingdom events are organized.

The essential problem with regional events is that the fiduciary
responsibility is at the local level.  By separating financial
responsibility and event oversight between two groups, one group can be made
responsible for debts incurred by a person from another group.  I don't say
this will happen, but the perception is the Regional seneschal is attempting
to loot Namron's coffers by eliminating Namron's control of the event.  In
addition, the Regional seneschal is ignoring the local concerns and
dictating where previously arrangements were made by negotiation and mutual
agreement.  Veddy bad form.

Sure a seneschal can organize events with as little or as much input as they
choose, at all levels of the Society, but anyone who disagrees with them
does not have to volunteer their services or attend the event.  More to the
point, the seneschal can not direct funds be expended when the treasurer
opposes the expenditure.  Groups do not serve seneschals, seneschals serve
groups.  A seneschal that does not listen, does not work to allay people's
fears, and does not try to build consensus for a project is failing in their
duty.

What the entire mess points out to me is that for a region to be truly
functional, it needs a bank account to fund regional events.  That way the
chief fiduciary responsibility is in the hands of the Regional treasurer
where it belongs.

Bear