NR - New? Use For a 24" Round (Shield)

KTMC- AM 14 & ROCK 105 KTMC at icok.net
Thu Jan 4 09:35:57 PST 2001

Greetings!
   Valstarr Hawkwind here, from the Canton of Rundel. Perhaps a bit of
humor might be appropriate this morning.
   I have not done a great deal of fighting heavy, so many of you may
never have crossed swords with me, and most of you that havem have
defeated me! :) I am not really into shield use, but do have a 24"
round.
   It saw some use last week. I live south of McAlester, which is in the
region hardest hit by the crippling ice storm that struck the state on
Christmas. Work was busy and getting home difficult, and I spent a
couple of days or so away from where i live.
   When I returned, the thawing process had begun, and chucnks of ice
were falling off of almost any type of object. Sometimes, depending on
the size of the chucnk and the distance it fell, it could make quite an
impact.
   There were some drooping trees weighted with ice that I had to get
through, and under, to get in where I live. So, when I came back out, I
tilted that round at an angle over me to cover me from falling ice
chunks. I was not struck by anything major, but it may have been one of
the VERY few times I have ever used a round shield effectively :)
   Now, if I were to practice enough with it to help protect me in
combat :)

   Have a great day!
   Valstarr