NR - Northern Regional Tribute

Leslie Miller Miller at pp.okstate.edu
Tue Jan 2 07:52:31 PST 2001

> 1.  I find it difficult to believe that any group would be willing to
> put their reputation and money on the line, if they have absolutely no
> input regarding how the event is run.

Even if Mooneschadowe would do it, I think most groups would not.

> 2.  How likely is it that all Regional Officers would accept this
> responsibility and actually fulfill their duties?  Unless the Date is
> changed, February is a really busy time for Treasurer's, especially
> the Regionals.

Having been regional seneschal for two years, I can honestly say
that the last thing I needed to be messing with at that time was
autocratting a regional event.  I can see all kinds of potential
problems coming up in a situation like that which could interfere
with my job to be a neutral moderator between groups and
individuals, etc. etc.  There's just too much potential for abuse, not
to mention the additional responsibility.

> 3.  What affect would this have on people being willing to hold
> Regional offices?  It's often difficult to fill some of the Regional
> offices as it is.

I'm sure that anyone who has held the position of northern regional
seneschal would probably agree with me that it does not *need*
additional responsibilities.  It's a stressful enough job as it is.

> 3.  Traditionally the sponsoring group handles the lions share of the
> set up and clean up and staffing the gate.  It seems unfair to put
> that burden on them if they have no input into how the event is run.

I agree.  There's a lot of potential there for hard feelings.

> 4.  The region does not have a bank account.  Regional officers cannot
> make financial decision for SCA groups.  There can be no transfers.
> Will Regional officers understand why?

I agree that this is a problem.

I think that having the regional officers organize or "autocrat" a
regional event is not a good idea.  My opinion only, and certainly
no hard feeling towards anyone who disagrees with me.

Gunhilda