NR - Northern Regional Tribute

Reihla at aol.com Reihla at aol.com
Tue Jan 2 10:42:16 PST 2001

Ya know, I've said I won't post to this list again, but due to the numerous
requests for more information I don't see that I really have much choice.  No
one else can speak for my barony or why certain decisions were made in it.

> Baron Master Sir Burke said:
> This leads me to Wiesenfeuer, <lots of interesting, but I feel not
> So how was Wiesenfeuer shafted?  I don't see it.

I was hoping not to have to go here, but there are quite a few wondering at
this point.  Hopefully this will clear up some misconceptions.

At the 6th NRT (the last Wiesenfeuer hosted) the Kingdom Seneschal was heard
to make the statement that "Wiesenfeuer will *not* be allowed to host the
next NRT." This was well before any discussion on the matter had occurred
within our group and the comment upset those who overheard it and many who
were later told of it.  Having received no official notice from Kingdom,
Wiesenfeuer treated the overheard comment as rumor, not as fact, and
requested her usual annual dates on the kingdom calendar (including the one
for NRT).

In July, (just as Barn and I were getting our feet under us after being
invested in late April) we discovered NRT on the calendar, but *not* on
Wiesenfeuer's requested date.  After inquiring, we were told that NRT was now
being handled as a true "regional" event.  At the request of the Crown and
Kingdom Seneschal, the Regional Seneschal set the date and would be
soliciting for groups to sponsor the event.  Again, this was well before our
barony had even voted on whether or not to host the event we created and
sponsored for 6 years.

Given that no official announcement had been made, we knew this bazaar turn
of events could be presented to our populace in several different ways.
Wiesenfeuer had already been through a lot, so we opted for the *least
explosive* method.  We already knew local enthusiasm for hosting the event
was low (whether due to politics or just burn out depends on who you ask).
Rather than presenting that NRT had been taken over by the administration, we
simply polled the populace about whether or not they even *wanted* to sponsor
NRT again.  With only a handful of exceptions, and for many different
reasons, the response was a resounding NO.  At that point Barn and I sent a
letter to all Northern seneschals and landeds and let everyone know that our
group would not be sponsoring the event.

Two days after our letter went out we were told to attend a manditory meeting
of the Northern landeds at Steppes Artisan to discuss regional matters.  We
attended and voiced our concerns over the handling of the situation and our
unhappiness at how our groups interests had been treated.  There was much
discussion (debate?) about whether or not Tribute had ever been a truly
"regional" event.  The consensus was that two baronies had always felt it was
and two baronies had always felt it was not.  Rather a stalemate, I guess.
At that point, the Crown graciously offered sponsorship of the event back to
Wiesenfeuer, but we declined.  As has been said, many hurt feelings already
existed and our populace had already voted not to do it.  At that meeting it
was decided that NRT would be a true "regional" event.  Despite this
decision, no official announcement of the change was ever made which led to
much confusion and probably contributed greatly to the problems going on now.

> No one took anyone's date, nor stopped anyone from holding an event.

This is a bit incorrect.  In July, when Wiesenfeuer voted not to host NRT we
also elected to leave our reserved date on the Kingdom Calendar.  After all,
it had been our date for almost 20 years (in one form or another) and we had
already paid the nonrefundable site deposit for that year.  We were concerned
at that point that the war effort not be harmed by our change of plans (in
the event that no one chose to continue NRT), so we asked to use our date to
host a Kingdom War College.  Initially at least, our request was approved.

At the subsequent meeting in Steppes, the Crown and seneschallate made clear
their desire that NRT would continue with its own War College and Wiesenfeuer
was told not to host an independent War College.  However, we still had a
date on the calendar and nonrefundable site deposit paid.  When the
opportunity presented itself to work with House Wolfstar planning an event
around the Mead Bee issue that had been brewing for several years we felt it
was a great opportunity to get to know our friends (and new war allies) in
Calontir.

> > Gitana wrote
> > "Nor will it change the fact that in jumping in to "save the day" a third
> > northern barony has condoned those actions",

> to which Burke replied
> that is hogwash and you know it.

I sure wish people would quit calling other people liars simply because they
have a difference of opinion.  Regardless of your personal differences with
Gitana, she deserves to be treated with respect by a Knight of this Realm on
this public forum.  The fact is, it *is* bound to appear to some that
Northkeep is condoning the way Namron has been treated.  Now, before everyone
dogpiles me on that little statement, let me clarify that this isn't what *I*
am saying.

> How could any group responding to a simple request from a Kingdom officer,
> be accused of condoning any actions that they did not know about.

Admittedly, I'm catching up on all of this (60-some-odd posts) this morning,
but I think my perspective is pretty clear.  I believe, as Robert Fitzmorgan
said already, that the barony of Northkeep is acting with only the best of
intentions.  They have always given strong support to this region and no one
should expect that this time would be any different.  I don't feel there
should be strong feelings against them as a group for picking up the regional
ball (as they have done many times) and trying to keep it rolling.

However, at the same time, I don't think there should be strong feelings
against either Wiesenfeuer or Namron for feeling "shafted."  Nor do I think
veiled threats or insinuations should be made if members of our populace
don't want to support Tribute.  There are *lots* of hurt feelings here and,
like it or not, feelings dictate how people act and react.  Even if folks
disagree with me (and they are certainly welcome to do so) the truth is that
last years circle of unhappy people *is* widening.  You'd think someone would
be concerned over that and willing to find out what it would take to fix the
problems.  Denying that problems exist sure hasn't solved anything up til now.

Sir Burke quoted our Northern Regional Seneschal as saying:
> "Namron has just pulled out as our hosting group for "Tribute"."

As has been said, Namron didn't get the chance to pull out.  They were told
they would not be hosting the event before they even had a chance to decide
that on their own.  Am I the only one who sees similarities between their
situation and Wiesenfeuer's situation from the previous year?

I'd like to point out that Namron was the *only* group that bid on Tribute
this year.  Honor or not, there is a large amount of work involved for the
group running that event.  Obviously everyone saw that or there would have
been groups lined up to bid for it.  I see lots of folks talking about how
they would be willing to do NRT, but only if asked.  None of these groups
outside of Namron actually bid for the event.  That speaks volumes to me.

> This leaves little time to become aware of some vast conspiracy to
> do insult or harm to Namron.

I think "vast" is overstating the situation.  "Conspiracy" might also be
painting things a little too dark.  I do think something is very wrong with
our system when two baronies have serious problems with a policy/situation
but are only told to sit down, shut up and accept things.  I think a good
point was made that infected wounds only fester and this one has been
festering a good long time.

I think I've made the point that many in Wiesenfeuer, including me, felt
"shafted." After giving six years of hard work to NRT out of love for our
Kingdom, Wiesenfeuer should have been consulted before NRT was taken out of
our hands.  Likely the final outcome would have been the same - that NRT
would have become a regional event - but with one very serious difference.
Wiesenfeuer could have given Tribute to the region as a gift and perhaps we
could have continued to support it with our whole hearts instead of feeling
hurt, angry and bitter.

> since in all of these cases the Crown and Seneschallete were involved, I
guess
> that you feel the Crown and Seneschallete are wrong and should apologize.

I don't think anyone has suggested the Crown's involvement in any of the
events of the past week until you did just now.  I think most of us believe
Their Majesties are good and honorable people doing what they feel is best
out of their love for the kingdom.

If Tribute is to continue, I would only wish the best to those who
participate.  Barn and I won't make any rash statements at this point as to
whether or not we will continue our support of the event.  Much depends on
whether or not our populace supports it as we recognize our duty to represent
our people to the region and kingdom.  Much also depends on the Crown's
wishes as we, of course, represent them as well.  Duty aside, though, I have
to admit that I will never feel the same way about Tribute as I once did.

Kat, Baroness of Wiesenfeuer