[NR] New List...I disagree...no wait now I agree

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Wed Jul 11 13:18:54 PDT 2001

At 02:47 PM 7/11/01 +1100, Kat wrote:
>>Actually, what I meant was:  People here *aren't* attacking each
>>other or insulting each other at this time (woohoo!) and I didn't
>>like the inferrence that it *was* going on because sometimes even the
>>suggestion is enough to make a thing happen...

Ok, no problem.  I'm sorry for the misinterpretation.  The general point of
my message still holds for a dynamic for why people might be discouraged
from contributing, but I'm glad that no one's upset *now*.

>>In re-reading my original post I realize that I may have been
>>more abrupt than I intended.  The moral to the story is, don't
>>respond on e-mail lists while you're sitting in 97 degree heat at
>>10pm waiting on the air conditioner repair man.  You'll probably be
>>more succinct than you should be.

I sympathize completely...

>> There are times when I think all these e-mail lists are good for is
>> perpetuating misunderstandings.

I think they DO have a purpose - and a good one.  But they don't replace face to face
communication any more than paper letters or telephones do.

M/D