[NR] a challenge of peace & a little history...

Aunt Dwen auntdwen at us.inter.net
Sat Jul 21 15:09:36 PDT 2001

Greetings, Ceridwen Here:

    I am intrigued about the idea of an Arch.  I think Samhain is a
wonderful time of year for such a project, if there is support for it.
Samhain is often called the Celtic New Year.  The year in many Celtic
cultures ended and began at Samhain. As celebrated by many of the pagan folk
out there, Samhain is a ritual where the lives of the departed are
remembered and celebrated.  Typically there is special mention of those who
have passed since last Samhain, but it is also a time when many feel the
veil between this world and the afterlife is thin.  It is a time when the
spirits of our ancestors are closer to us.  Many of these same themes can be
found in the Roman Catholic Feast of All Saints, held on November 1st (hence
All Hallows Eve, or the more familiar Hallowe'en).  Kathryn Morse describes
the Roman Catholic All Saints Day thus:

    "The Feast of All Saints is the celebration of our relationship with
those in the triumphant church - those who have preceded us in entry to
heaven. It began with local festivals in the early church. Ever since there
were Christian martyrs, local churches have honored their martyrs. Lists
were kept locally and feast days were held locally. Of course there were
martyrs who were not recorded for various reasons.
    In the sixth century, Pope Boniface IV proclaimed May 13, 610, Feast of
All Holy Martyrs held in Rome to honor all martyrs not listed in local
records. In 835, Pope Gregory IV changed the date and name to November 1 and
Feast of All Saints. A theory for the change in date is that since the feast
was large and popular, it was easier to have a fall date to take advantage
of the fall harvest for the food supply."

    Now, before folks get their breeches in a wad because I'm talking about
religion and the SCA in the same breath, just remember that there are a
number of the events we hold every year that are religious holidays to
someone--Yule & Beltane, for example--and religious overtones will
inevitably enter in to the event--Yule trees, frolicsome behavior 'round the
Maypole at Beltane, etc. Also, I am not advocating doing a pagan or
Christian ceremony with the Arch per se, but supporting the notion that
Samhain is a good time for remembering the dead AND for making a new
beginning.

    HE Katrin did mention using the Arch at times in the future, as well.  I
just wouldn't want to do anything at Northkeep's Anniversary and Investiture
event that draws attention away from that Barony, it's birthday or the
investiture of her newest Baron and Baroness without Northkeep's invitation.
Their plates are pretty full already...

    Just my thoughts on the matter.

Bright Blessings,

Auntie Dwen