[NR] a challenge of peace

aelfwyn at coxconnect.net aelfwyn at coxconnect.net
Sun Jul 22 19:34:24 PDT 2001

Just a suggestion, folks, but why don't we all accept that the Arch, like the Dream itself, will mean different things to different people, none of whom are "right" or "wrong" in their feelings.

Like Mahleah & Kat, I have done my grieving for those whom we lost, & while I will always miss them, I have come to terms with their absence. While I don't see how those deaths have any significant bearing on the current problems in the region, I understand that there are those who feel the need for some way of reaching out to deal with unresolved pain remaining from those terrible years. The arch will be a good way of doing this.

To those of you who don't feel that need, I would add this to HE Caitrinne's challenge:

Think of the person who has hurt you, angered you, betrayed you, done whatever to you the most, the person who you can't see eye to eye with and never will, the person you can't stand. Now, think up one - just one - good thing about that person, write it down & put THAT on the arch. Don't try telling me that you can't think of one good thing; there are several people in the SCA that I don't care to be around, can't stand, etc., but I can name at least one good point (usually several) about each of them, whether it is artistic talent, fighting skill, being willing to speak their mind or whatever.

The point of this being that no one here is evil. Differing points of view, acts of stupidity & even occasionally deliberately hurtful acts, yes, but no real evil. Just plain old people making mistakes, & the biggest mistake that we can make is thinking that "they" are bad and "we" are good. THAT to me is the root of the problems in the north: people deciding that one person or another is the great Satan of the moment & must be stopped from destroying all that is good.

It's all melodrama, folks. I've been caught up in it myself more than once, but while it livens the game up - who doesn't want to be the hero who saves the world from evil? -the ultimate price is too high. When you run out of villains, you have to start manufacturing them, & that's when people really start getting hurt.

This is a game, played for enjoyment. It's not worth threatening other people, trying to damage their reputations, slandering them or any of the other things that have happened in the last few years.

So think up one good thing about that person you can't stand & remember that just as no one here is evil, no one here is perfect. Cut each other some slack, treat each other to a little patience & give that person whose post annoyed you the benefit of the doubt before you start tossing off judgements in your replies.

Aelfwyn