[NR] A view from the sidelines

Michelle Scheuler avatora at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 23:47:58 PDT 2001

Greetings unto the populace of Northern Ansteorra;

Many of you probably do not know me, so before I start adding my 2 cents to
the treasury allow me to introduce myself.  I am Michelle, or hopefully soon
to be known as Mara Lee, Weisenfeurer's "friendly" Hospitaler.  I tend to
stand on the side lines at the events, but you can be assured that at some
point I have probably either made an effort to speak with each individual on
this list or at the very minimum given you a warm smile.

I am speaking now not to state a view point on the current "hot topics" of
the Northern Region, or to scold any individual - but merely to perhaps let
everyone in on a bit of what is seen from the sidelines.

As a fairly new member to the SCA - I still know why it is that I came to
this organization to begin with.  To have a group of people who I could
spend time with, who share common interests, and who would be accepting.
And while I have seen this - I have seen many things that have chipped away
at the joy that I first felt and continue to feel as a member of the SCA.

Often times we speak before we think - I too have fallen victim to this
syndrome.  And I admit that I have seen some very beautiful apologies.  But
I also know that bitter words tend to stick like bubblegum to our favorite
pair of shoes.

When HRM Larissa spoke this weekend to the entire populace I felt that it
was one of the most beautiful speeches I had ever heard.  Not because of her
eloquence - but because it came from the heart.  And I felt that she not
only cared about Ansteorra, and healing the wounds in the North; but because
I felt that she cared about me as the individual on the side lines as well.

I have watched and read the view points of you the readers of the Northern
Regional mailing list - and have at times felt the warmth that I felt this
past weekend.  But there have been many, many times that I have felt
coldness and indifference to the feelings of others.

But, it is not only from reading the e-mails that we send out that I have
seen this - but at our every day gatherings as well. There are some of you
who I know that I can sit and confide in, who will share their stories with
me, and make me feel welcome.  But there are many more who seem rather cold
and indifferent to the young girl who they do not know.  I am a rather shy
person - I will admit that perhaps I should make more of an effort myself to
meet those of you who have played much longer than me myself.  But I also
feel that everyone should take the chance of introducing yourself to the
members of the sidelines.  Because, if we felt more welcome than perhaps we
would join in a bit more.

If I can make the effort as a newcomer to meet and greet the other newcomers
to our populace and to make them feel as welcome as possible, and to put
aside what I might have heard about an individual to get to know them before
I judge; I'm sure that you who have played for quite some time can make the
effort to do the same for me and the other players on the side lines as
well.

It is unity that we in the North seek - and I know with all of my heart that
this can be reached.  But we must take into consideration that this can not
be reached if we sit back and bicker over what each of us feels the steps
should be for it.  I understand that it is VERY hard to forgive and forget -
but I try to do that each time I step out my door dressed in funny clothing
and go to a meeting, an event, or a revel at which I may or may not enjoy
myself.

I remember a speech I once heard a few years back, and the one line that
sticks in my mind and that I often try to hold on to with all my might is
"Follow your bliss".  Perhaps each one of us should take a look inside and
remember why it is that we joined - and why we continue to play.  For I'm
sure that when we do - we will find not only our bliss, but also the answer
to many questions that have been debated on this list over the past few
months.

Perhaps I have spoke out above my station - but I felt it was time that I
spoke out to someone, and voicing my concerns locally won't make an impact
on the entire Northern Region.

In Service,
Michelle