[NR] re: Historical accuracy was .

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Wed Jun 6 09:00:17 PDT 2001

At 10:35 AM 6/6/01 -0500, Bear wrote:
>>> Remember what I said about being careful.  This book is
>>> excellent food for thought, but you might want to keep the salt handy...
>>True enough, but arguable.  I don't happen to subscribe Cahill's theories,
>>but, IMO, the book represents a readily available source of information of
>>pre-Lindisfarne Christian Ireland.  I also think the description of how
>>Europe moved from Roman government to feudalism is pretty good fare for a
>>beginner.

Like I said, food for thought.

You might take a look at:

Van de Weyer, Robert.  Celtic fire the passionate religious vision of
ancient Britain and Ireland. New York: Doubleday 1991.

I haven't read it yet, but Ian Bradley published one called "Celtic Christianity" last
year that looks interesting.  The problem is that most modern texts about early
Christianity in Ireland seems to want to suggest a continuation of old time pagan
practices (without a really clear understanding of pagan "celtic" religions were about),
and so it's hard to tell whether a works going to actually be dealing with the religion
as it was practiced, or how people want to hear about it.

Marc/Diarmaid