[NR] Sword vs Spear...

Ivo Blackhawk ivo_blackhawk at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:10:29 PDT 2001

A question: is it possible to effectively use a spear and shield combination
on the battlefield? The key question being can a 6 foot spear effectively be
used one handed?

Lord Jean Paul and myself just reciently had a very interesting discussion
about the flexability and effectiveness of a spear and shield combination as
compared to a sword and shield combination.

Lord Jean paul was of the opinioun that a spear would too easyly be blocked
or parried, and that it would be to difficult to deliver a killing force
blow with only one hand.

I, on the other hand would argue that a spear can effectively be used even
against an extremely well defended opponent, and I know for a FACT that a 14
foot pike pole can be used single handed with enough force to punch 1/4 inch
plywood (though it's not easy.)

The discussion stemed from Lord Ainar's lecture about vikeing weapons and
how they were used. It seems tha the primarly weapon's combination was a
shield (kite, round or squair) and 6 foot spear used one handed. Swords were
used, but were expencive and comparitively rare. Numbers from my own reading
sugest that the battle of Hastings would likely have had as many as twenty
to thirty spears for ever sword found in the infantry.

Anyway, My reason for bringing this to the list is because the discussion we
had was very lively, and informative, and I would like to take it to the
list because I think that it would prove interesting to see what others have
to say. While I have never personaly fought a spear and shield combination,
I know that others have (I remimber killing a few of you at B3K a few years
back ;) Also, a lot of people who are die-hard spearmen will likely know how
well you can wield a spear one handed as they are more likely to try that
than simply walk off the field after being struck in the arm.

So, anyone else have anything to contribute to the discussion, I really do
look forward to seeing who has what to say.

Lord Ivo Blackhawk