[NR] Memories, apologies, wishes, and a challenge

Chandranath chandra at plumes.org
Tue Jun 5 08:53:04 PDT 2001

Well said, Diarmaid.

I'd like to add another comment, which I have said before, but appears to be
worth repeating; you yourself allude to it, and it comes as a reaction to
something Her Excellency said.

There exist those who are having fun in the SCA.

We are not few.

We are not even particularly stoic.  (Stoic fun being hard for even me to
imagine.)

"They have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left
alone, and they seek my life."

It's easy to convince oneself that there's nobody left (even if your name is
Elijah, apparently) but it's rarely, rarely true.  Wasn't the answer "I have
reserved to myself seven thousand men..."?

I'm not really intending to debate HE Gunhilda.  (I could, and almost did, do
that privately.)  What worries me is self-fulfilling prophecy -- if those who
are new to the Society "see" that nobody's left enjoying it, why
would they _stay_?  So this is directed to you, if you're new -- we're
having fun.  Please have fun with us.  We promise, it still goes on.

Chandra

--
Shri Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy, Pursuivant Extraordinaire
Northern Regional Virtual Scribe