[NR] Historical accuracy and fun

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Tue Jun 5 15:28:30 PDT 2001

> I guess what I'm trying to say is I think folks who haven't played for long,
> or "poor college students" should be encouraged to work toward the goal of
> historical accuracy, not be made uncomfortable because there's a bit of
> polyester in the weave of that tunic, or because they get caught opening a can
> of spam at lunch.

I agree completely.  In fact, I was one of those students myself.  I
had very little money and unreliable transportation.  My first dress
was definitely a polyester blend and belted with an off-white cord
(talk about newcomer mistakes!).  I replaced the cord belt almost
immediately, but the polyester dress I wore for several years.  The
irony was that I made it from a 100% historically accurate pattern
that I researched and found.  The fact that it was researched was
never noticed, though, because of my mistake with the material.

And then there was the time I did a calligraphy/illumination project
and colored it with felt tip markers... oops!  Let's not go there!