[NR] Sword vs Spear...

Deeponez at cs.com Deeponez at cs.com
Wed Jun 20 10:29:17 PDT 2001

Hello:

         Many years ago I thought ,wow would it not be cool to fight spear
and shield. This was a fun and frustrating experience.
 Firstly if you are fighting against an opponent with a shield who is same
handed as you you must fight the spear over handed. The reason should be
obvious. Next, the disadvantage of fighting spear against a swordsman with a
shield, he need only knock the point of your spear away, then attack while
you recover your spear control. Spear and shield can be effective, but, it
like all things has its place, and its limitations.
  It is my belief that if you are going to use a spear outside a shield wall,
as an offensive weapon it must be used with both hands.
  As for Hastings. Yes there were many more spears than swords on the saxon
side. Swords cost a lot. More importantly it is much easier to train peasant
levies with a spear.
                          Trist