NR - Gulf Wars Stories

Burke McCrory burkemc2 at home.com
Mon Mar 19 18:50:49 PST 2001

At 03:53 PM 3/19/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Wow!  I figured that the lists would be inundated by now of stories from
>Gulf Wars.  Did it actually happen, or did they call it off and tell
>everyone to go home again?   :)
>
>Just curious,
>Gilyan

Sorry,  I have been a bit busy drying out my house from the water leak that
happened while I was away.

Gulf Wars X was a blast.  Speaking strictly from the Battle point of view
it was great fun.

The Great Northern Army numbering 30 fighters at one point was in the thick
of it all the way.

In the Resurrection Battle we were assigned to support the right side of
the ravine and even though we bent we never broke.

During the Field battles we were combined with Calontir's army, on it's
left side, and were assigned to stop any charge that came down the treeline
side of the field (which was like an Irish peat bog because they had been
mucking the horse stables there).  As it turned out in each of the three
battles the Great Army of the Kingdom of Atlantia was on that side.  They
were stopped dead in their tracks all three times.  His Majesty Anton of
Atlantia said that no one had handled one of their charges like that in
over 5 years.

Lastly the fort.  First we defended the fort with the Northern Army
assigned to the units that would guard the main gate.  As the battle wore
on many Ansteorran's fell victim to the missile fire from Trimaris.  When
the charge finally came our numbers were very thin but those members of the
Northern Army still left jumped in and took the Charge that was lead by the
army of the Midrealm.  We and Calontir stopped the charge at the gate and
held it until forces overwhelmed the sally port and attacked us from
behind.  Then it was our turn to attack and take the fort.  The Northern
Army was given the task of being the second unit in through the main
gate.  We were to support Calontir's charge and begin clearing out the fort
as soon as we got inside.  When the time came to charge the gate Calontir's
unit was stopped just inside the gate.  After a few minutes of fierce
combat, NR Warlord Viggen (who had commanded our forces all week long)
ordered the Northern Army to break through.  I had been involved with a
group that had just broken through the sally port and was privileged to be
just inside the fort and witness Viggen lead the charge that broke through
the main gate and released the Northern Army to wreck havoc inside the
Fort.  It was glorious.

One last thing.  To open the gates of the fort required a battering
Ram.  Oxlade and the Lion Dragon Engineering unit had built us two Rams for
the job.  The first worked so well that on the first strike the gates were
blown asunder.  The only trouble was you are suppose to tap the gates six
times to open them with a battering ram.  Then, in the confusion, Trimaris
dropped a massive bolder on the Ram rendering it destroyed.  But all was
not lost because Ox had built TWO rams, so the second ram was immediately
run out and it succeeded in striking the doors six times and the gate were
open.

ViVat the Great Northern Army
Sir Burke