[NR] A few of my Favorite Things, ..er People (long)

APRIL GILLILAN GILLILAN at ci.manhattan.ks.us
Wed May 23 08:24:12 PDT 2001

Seein's how the people thing has been done, I'm going to tell of my most
memorable events.  (I have to be different, just like everyone else... )
:-)

First one would definitely have to be the last Interkingdom that Ansteorra
held, hosted by Mooneschadowe.  Many, many fond memories of mine come from
that event.  I even wrote a paper about it in my high school English class.
I was Gunhilda's page then and she was the autocrat, so I got to follow her
around and look official.  She even let me carry a walkie-talkie!  :)  I
didn't really know what to do until given this advice by Rhiannon, "Make
sure you always know where she is, help her when she needs it, and make her
eat and rest every few hours."  So, I did.  All weekend (it was a three-day
event) I followed Gunny around and put food in her hand for her to eat and
made sure she had help whenever she needed.

Court at that event was exciting for me, I got to stand behind Baron Pepin
(who was sitting in *my* chair) and hold his banner the entire time (Gunny
was sitting next to him).  I also got my AoA at that event.  I remember Kat
reaching for the banner and wondering why I didn't get to hold it anymore
when I heard my name called by the herald.  I was quite surprised and
embarrassed, but fumbled through okay (I think).  Unfortunately, that was
not all I would be subjected to during that court.  About halfway through,
this boy comes running up to me with an orange with a whole bunch of cloves
stuck in it (remember, I am holding the banner behind Pepin, who was holding
court).  I had no idea what to do.  This person was down on one knee and
holding a piece of fruit up to me!  Gunny explained the whole thing, how you
are supposed to take a clove in your lips and kiss the person who gave it to
you, passing the clove to them.  I was extremely embarrassed.  Pepin saved
me though.  He told me to just take the orange and give the boy a peck on
the head. Whew!  Everyone had a good laugh, except me, and court went on.  I
was to later find out who put Sarmasia's boy (for the life of me I can't
remember his name) up to this.  Barn just loves to embarrass people and make
them laugh.  It was an entertaining court, to say the least.  :)

Also at that event, there was an auction to raise money for Talen and
Treschen when their child died.  I did not know them at the time, but
everyone else did and were very sad for them.  I remember helping clean the
kitchen after feast on Sunday afternoon when the auction started.  I went
out and watched for a bit with Lady Kathleen.  The last item to be auctioned
was a Viking sword that Gunny donated.  She had run the auction up til then,
but left when her sword went on the block.  Barn took over for her.  I told
Kathleen that I would buy it and give it back to Gunny if I had enough
money, but instead some guy that I didn't know bought it. I went back to the
kitchen after that, gathered up my feast gear and headed back to camp.  As I
was leaving out the back door, Barn came and asked me if I had seen Gunny.
For the first time the entire weekend, I had to say no.  I hadn't seen her
since she left the auction.  I kept going back to camp and, as I rounded the
corner to the front of the hall, Fiona called to me and asked if she could
talk to me after I took my stuff back to camp.

After dropping my stuff off, I headed back to the front of the feast hall.
As I was getting there, I saw Gunny writing a check to the man who had
bought her sword.  I was confused.  Even more so when the man gave Gunny her
sword in exchange for the check.  I arrived in front of her and Fiona just
as the man was leaving.  Gunny turned to me and said, "Here, I want you to
have this."  I couldn't help it.  I just started crying.  I tried to tell
her no and give it back to her, but she just wouldn't have any of it.  I
know how much that sword meant to her.  I heard her and Barn talking about
it.  I still can't believe that she gave it to me.  I carried it around the
rest of the weekend (even though it was a bit too long and would touch the
ground sometimes).  I used to take it with me to every SCA event and wear it
around.  I haven't done it lately.  But, I think I will start again.  It
makes me remember the good times I had with everyone at that event.  Also, I
may have grown that extra inch so that it won't be hitting the ground all
the time now.  :)

Whew!  That was a bit longer than I expected.  It just started flowing after
I got started....  I'll save the other story of my second most embarrassing
event for another time.  It'll give me time to remember all of it also...
something about calling a knight an a#@hole while being called up in
court... hehe   Anyone else remember?  ;-)

Gilyan

PS - For those of you who got this far - Feel free to give JP a hard time.
During his post on this same subject, he broke the one rule I made when I
moved to Calontir.  He made me cry while at work.