[NR] A few of my Favorite Things, ..er People (long)

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Thu May 24 23:04:27 PDT 2001

I still sometimes find myself on auto pilot going to Lake Taylor
anytime I'm around Chickasha.  I loved that site, it's the first site
I ever went to an event at.  It's the first site I ever fought a
tourney at.  The first site I got to autocrat an event at (which
includes some of the worst SCA memories, does everybody remember the
mundanes with eggs?).  I got my AoA there at Namron Protectorate from
Richard and Anora, it was a good event for me.

I miss that site, but it doesn't have half the amenities we'd need
these days.

Some of my very favorite SCA memories:

Candle snuffing with the Blacke Orchid by the shores of Lake Taylor.
We'd have the sails up, with some screens closing them off.  The wind
would be coming off the lake, which would help keep it cool.  It was
great.

Making up the world's stupidest song with Puck (Three Days I've Been
Sailing).

The first WolfStar I ever went to, when the Blacke Orchid gave me a
piece of silver for enjoying the game so much I couldn't quit smiling.
I still have the piece of silver...

Claryce teaching me that the best way to see the kind of dancers *I*
wanted to see was to listen for Bellady played... not so well.  She
tried to teach me to watch the better stuff, but I wasn't really
interested in belly dancing : )  I've gotten better, really.  Besides,
I learned it was more efficient just to know someone with a hot tub.

It's amazing how many good memories you can rack up in such a short
time.

Hawkins